How to Build a Propeller
(4 blade, 30" diameter, 10 HP at 3600 RPM, 200 lbs. thrust)
(This is just off the top of my head. Someday I'll dig up my
interview tape of Al Schaus and complete this page.)
- Pick Straight Hard Wood with a Tight Grain
- Cut into 8 boards 1/2" thick, 4" wide, 30.25" long
- Notch 4" wide 1/4" deep cut in center of each board
- Alternate boards to form 4 crosses
- Stack 4 crosses
- Glue and clamp the 8 boards into this geometry
- Drill a 1" diameter hole through the center of the boards
- Using templates, plane the wood down to the final shape
- Sand and Varnish
- Make a balancing jig to balance the prop at the center.
A cone and a pin will do.
- Sand and Varnish, adding extra varnish where weight is needed
to balance the prop. Repeat until balanced.